Frequently Asked Questions on Basileus

General information


Criteria students/staff






Selected students/staff


Scholarship information


What is the difference between Basileus I, II, III, IV and V?

They are 4 different projects. Within Erasmus Mundus, consortia have to reapply every year for funding and these projects are considered to be separate projects, with separate budgets. An overview for the four projects:
Basileus I : Started 15 July 2008 - Last possible start of mobility : 1 September 2009 - Project end date : 30 November 2011 ;
Basileus II: Started 15 July 2009 - Last possible start of mobility : 1 September 2010 - Project end date : 30 November 2011 ;
Basileus III: Started 30 November 2010 - Last possible start of mobility for students: 31 December 2011 - Last possible start of mobility for staff: 29 October 2014 - Project end date : 29 November 2014.
Basileus IV: Started 14 July 2012 - start of mobilities: September 2013. Last possible start of mobilities for students: 31 December 2013. Last possible start of mobility for staff: 13 June 2016. Project end date: 14 July 2016.
Basileus V: Started 15 July 2013 - start of mobilities: September 2014. Last possible start of mobilities for students: 31 December 2014. Last possible start of mobilities for staff: 14 June 2017. Project end date: 14 July 2017



What is the difference between an Erasmus Mundus Action 1 student and an Erasmus Mundus Action 2 student?

When the 'Erasmus Mundus' programme was established by the European Commission in 2003, the programme evolved around specially selected international Master course programs of high quality, called the Erasmus Mundus Master Courses. These Courses are offered by consortia each consisting of at least three universities situated in at least three different European countries. The 'Erasmus Mundus Action 1' programme only provides scholarships for students who get selected for attending these specific Erasmus Mundus Master Courses. On the other hand, The 'Erasmus Mundus Action 2 programme focuses more on a wide-scale academic mobility (not linked to 1 specific Master course, but open to almost all programmes) between Europe and so-called third countries, and supports both exchange and degree-seeking students through scholarship funding.

What is an exchange student and what is a degree student?

An exchange student is a student (officially registered in a university or other institution for higher education) who temporarily lives in a foreign country and attends courses or is involved in other academic activities. The exchange period lasts for a minimum of 1 semester and a maximum of 2 semesters. The exchange student does NOT get a diploma from the host university. However, all academic results will be sent to his/her home university. Tuition fee is paid to the home university.  

degree student registers at the university abroad and is no longer a student from the university at home. He or she will obtain a diploma from the university abroad. Students applying to a foreign university will need to comply with the local admission requirements.

Is there any kind of degree offered at the end of the mobility period?

Exchange students go abroad for a period covering only a part of the curriculum required for a degree. Therefore they do not receive a diploma or degree but a  "transcript of records" specifying the marks obtained for each of the courses followed and a "certificate of attendance" from their host university. The transcript must be used by the home institution for recognising the study period abroad as part of the general curriculum required for obtaining the final degree. 
In addition, a Diploma Supplement should be issued at the end of his/her studies identifying the courses followed and the marks obtained during the student's period abroad. 

Degree students who successfully completed a whole study programme will receive a diploma and a Diploma Supplement.


What is a consortium?

A consortium is a partnership or a group of higher education institutions that intends to implement a project (in this case a mobility scheme) together.


When must I spend my period abroad?

Students and researchers can start their mobility from winter semester 2014 on. In any case all mobility should start before 31 December 2014, except staff. Staff can start their mobility until 2 months before the end of the project on 14 July 2017. We would like to point out that EMA2 is a European mobility programme, therefore funds cannot be used to travel outside of Europe or to spend longer periods at the home country. Grant holders should be physically present at their host university to perform academic activities there.

Are inter-European or inter-Third-countries mobilities allowed?

No, this is not allowed. European students/staff can only go to Western Balkan universities and Western Balkan students/staff can only go to the EU universities.

What courses can I take abroad?

In principle, all fields of study are open. Some host universities can however decide not to open up their full course offer. Information is to be found on the links of all partner universities. We invite you to visit the websites of the universities to consult the course catalogues. Pay attention to the language of instruction.

What is a target group and how many target groups are there?

A target group is a group of students/staff having the same characteristics regarding the institution, country of origin and/or personal situation. There are 3 target groups, which are clearly explained under the heading "Target Groups"
(see "The Basileus IV project")

Can European students receive scholarships from other European Community programmes?

Only one Community grant can be awarded for the purpose of implementing an action or activity. In this context, a European student whose mobility period abroad is funded with the present cooperation scheme is not entitled to benefit at the same time from another Community grant for the same purpose (such as Erasmus). However, if you have received another grant in the past you can still apply for a Basileus scholarship. If you obtained a first Erasmus Mundus Action 2 grant, you cannot reapply for the same level (Bachelor – Master – PhD) for another Erasmus Mundus Action 2 project.

Can nationals from the Western Balkans living in Europe apply for a scholarship?

Target group 1: no, because they should be registered in a university in the Western Balkans

Target group 2: yes, if they have obtained a first higher education diploma in a university from their home country and if they did not carry out their main activity (study, work, etc.) for more than 12 months in the last five years in one of the European countries.

Target group 3: yes, if they are in any of the conditions of vulnerability enumerated (refugee, asylum seeker, internally displaced population,..)


Can I benefit from more than 1 mobility flow?

No, you can only benefit from 1 mobility flow in the same project. You can however reapply for a second grant under another Erasmus Mundus Action 2 project for another type of mobility (Bachelor – Master – PhD – postdoc – staff)

I am a Basileus exchange student. Is there need for a bilateral agreement between my home and host university?

No, there is no need when your home institution is a member of the Basileus consortium: the Basileus Consortium Agreement replaces the bilateral agreement. The only exception is when you are an exchange student within Target Group 2, i.e. currently registered at a non-partner institution in the Western Balkans. In this case, ask the International Relations Office of your home institution to contact the Basileus Secretariat, so it can work out a bilateral agreement between your home institution and the Basileus consortium.


What are the language criteria to apply for this project?

Every host university has its own language and admission criteria. Under “partners” you can find more information about the criteria for each partner university.



What do I fill in in the field "study level"?

You have the choice from the following terms: undergraduate, master, PhD, post-doctorate, academic staff.


I will get the results of my TOEFL/IELTS test after the deadline, can I still make changes to my application?

After you have submitted your application, no changes to your file are possible anymore because we want to treat all the applications on an equal footing. The only exception is international language certificates like TOEFL and IELTS: you can still send them up to one week after the deadline by email. After this date we cannot guarantee that the document will be included in the selection procedure, as the selection procedure starts one week after the application deadline.


I don't have a passport. What do I have to do?

You can now apply with an ID card. Selected students will have to start their visa procedure immediately after the selection notification. 


I want to upload the copies of my course record transcripts, but the transcripts are not in English. What should I do?

We require that the transcripts are translated into English or another language known by the people of the host university. Universities or faculties can normally issue this document in English upon request 


Do the language certificate, the copy of diploma supplement or the document explaining the grading system and the copy of the diploma need to be in English?

Yes. We require that all the documents, that have to be uploaded, are in English. A certified translation is best, but other translations are accepted as well. They will be checked by the home university to see that there is no falsification.



How will the selection be done and what are the criteria?

1 The application forms from TG1 students and staff members will be screened and validated online by the International Relations Office or contact person of their home university. Validation is a technical screening of your file: is the student enrolled in the home university? Are all the supported documents included? Is mobility allowed during this phase of the study program? 

2 The host universities get access to application files of the students. The local coordinators do a first, initial screening of the applications. They check whether the requested study program is available, the language requirements are fulfilled,  the admission requirements are fulfilled etcetera. They send the files to the responsible professors of the relevant departments. (e.g. the file of student of electrical engineering will be evaluated by a professor of the engineering department). The professors use a standardized evaluation form with questions regarding the academic merit, motivation and language level to evaluate all files. The IROs upload the evaluation forms and total points to the database. The requested host universities  have the final word in the decision whether you will be accepted.

3 The Basileus Secretariat makes up ranked lists per nationality, target group and per type of mobility. The highest ranked will obtain the grants – in accordance with the number of available grants per nationality and target group in the project budget application. The consortium will also establish a reserve list. There can be minor changes compared to the original planned scholarship scheme. 

4 The Basileus Secretariat informs all applicants (selected, reserve and  rejected candidates). Afterwards the host university will be responsible for further processing of the mobility and contact with the selected candidate. 

5 All students must start their mobility period by 31 December 2014 at the latest. This date is a contractual obligation and no exceptions can be made! Only staff members can still start mobility after this date. 


When will the selection results be available and how will they be communicated?

We always aim to have the selection results made public within maximum 3 months after the application deadline. All applicants will be emailed and the list of selected candidates is published online. 


Selected students/staff

What facilities are offered once I am abroad?

Your host university has an International Relations Office, that offers assistance for housing, coaching, language support, social life and administrative procedures. Your host university will inform you about all services offered.


How will I receive my grant?

Subsistence allowance will be paid by the European university involved. For European candidates, this is paid on your home EU account. For Western Balkan candidates, this is paid on your EU account (to be opened locally after arrival at the host university). Please note that this takes at least a few days. You will receive the first month 2 months of allowance. The next payment is then in the third month and then there is a monthly payment. You should submit your evaluation form before you receive your final payment.

The consortium will arrange insurance and a return travel ticket for you. This has to be arranged via the grant holder pages (online on the project website). There you can enter your travel dates and other requested information, which will allow us to buy you a ticket and insurance for travel, health and accident (worldwide cover). Tuition fee (if applicable) will be paid directly to the university. You will receive your travel ticket and your insurance card via email.


What about insurance?

In order to arrange your insurance, you should communicate your travel dates via the grant holder pages online.  On the basis of these dates, the Basileus Secretariat will apply for insurance for the period that you are abroad. You will receive the insurance card by email - you should use this for the embassy.

Via this link you can download the insurance policy. The claim form for luggage and for medical expenses with contact details can be downloaded here. Please make sure to report claims within 7 days as stated in the policy.


How can I obtain a visa?

Inform yourself whether you need a visa to go to your host country. Once the candidates have received an official confirmation from the host university that they have been accepted, they should obtain a visa in their home countries via the embassies of their host country.  Make sure you receive a letter of invitation from your host university. Please start your visa application as soon as possible to avoid delays!


Scholarship information

Do you charge tuition fees?

Exchange students do not have to pay tuition fee at their host university, they pay at their home universities because they are enrolled there. For degree students, some universities can charge tuition fees. The student himself does not have to pay this, the tuition fee is paid directly by the Basileus project to the university of his/her choice.




  Ghent University
Search website:
Last update on 29/08/2016 -
Management login
Site map