Objectives Basileus V
The following objectives have been defined for the project:
- The Basileus project is conceived as a pilot project for the Western Balkans to prepare their future participation in the Lifelong Learning Programme. Through exchanging students and setting up procedures which are very similar to the Erasmus procedures, the Western Balkan partners have the chance to build up expertise in this field. The EU partners will share knowledge and good practices through a conference, meetings and trainings in specific topics (ECTS, mobility management, academic recognition)
- The project strives for structured long-term cooperation between all partners, resulting in a sustainable network. The project offers the perfect platform to boost the exchange of know-how for curriculum development, new teaching methods, international relations and university management. Our associate partner King Baudouin Foundation gives extra funding for additional staff in internationalisation and for extra dissemination activities.
- The project aims to build bridges between the EU and the Western Balkans by offering opportunities to young people to come to the EU and build up contacts. Likewise the project aims to convince EU students and staff of the potential the lesser known Western Balkan region has to offer for further cooperation.
- The core of the project is mobility, but extra attention is given to the transparency and recognition of studies and qualifications: the further implementation of ECTS and Diploma Supplement. All countries involved are signatories to the Bologna Process and thus part of the European Higher Education Area. Workshops for academics with EU experts are organized at the partner universities on topics such as academic recognition.
- There are 9 scholarships reserved for students from vulnerable groups in the Western Balkans (specifically for Target Group 3: refugees, internally displaced populations, vulnerable groups). Disabled and economically disadvantaged students can be taken into account for all target groups, not exclusively target group 3. In this way the project contributes to disseminating EU social and democratic values.
- The project will enhance the skills of staff, who can in their turn contribute to the improvement of the education system in their home country: 15% of the scholarships are reserved for staff exchange. Professors applying will have to argument how their stay will contribute to structural reforms in their home universities in the Western Balkans, and this will be evaluated.
- The consortium has planned 58 mobility flows for target group 2, which will focus on Master and PhD activities (capacity-building) and which will strengthen university-enterprise cooperation. For this the extensive network of the associate partner SPARK will play an important role.
- The future of the Western Balkans lies within Europe. This project contributes to improving mutual understanding between the EU and WB, by enabling personal contacts.
The implementation of the project, shall contribute fully to promoting the horizontal policies of the Community, in particular by:
- Enhancing the European knowledge-based economy and society and contributing to creating more jobs in line with the objectives of the Lisbon Strategy and strengthening the global competitiveness of the European Union, its sustainable economic growth and its greater social cohesion;
- Fostering culture, knowledge and skills for peaceful and sustainable development in a Europe of diversity;
- Promoting awareness of the importance of cultural and linguistic diversity within Europe, as well as the importance of the need to combat racism and xenophobia and promoting intercultural education;
- Making provisions for students with special needs, and in particular by helping to promote their integration into mainstream higher education, and promoting equal opportunities for all;
- Promoting equality between men and women and contributing to combating all forms of discrimination based on sex, racial or ethnic origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation;
- Promoting the development of third countries.